Last night I played the game BANG! with several of my friends. I had never played it before, but had heard it was awesome.
All reports were true.
I am, generally, not a strategy, interactive game person. I get distracted too easily, follow through on ridiculous whims, and generally mess up my game, and usually others who I am playing with.
But BANG! is different, and here is how:
1. It is about gunfighters and the old west. Instantly awesome.
2. While strategy dictates that you should be careful who you kill, it is possible to kill or at leats attack on a whim...such as when I shot Tiffany purely because I told her I would shoot her first or attacked Chris as vengence for putting me in jail.
3. You can be underhanded, and your character can actually play the way s/he might have to in real life. Thus, the sheriff fights a losing battle because s/he is exposed the whole game, the deputy fights to save the sheriff without making him/herself a target, the renegade can seem to help the sheriff, but then quickly turns on him/her, and the outlaws are just out for blood. I love it.
4. I have been reading a bit about game theory lately, and this game was interesting from that standpoint as well.
5. The game is short enough that I stay engaged.
So I now have a new favorite game. Anybody want to play? I own the game (ask Sam and Luke why), so up to 6 of you lucky readers can join me. More if we invite Luke and his game.
Bringing about the end (of extreme poverty)
2 months ago